M.SC. NURSING (2 years course)
A Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is an advanced-level postgraduate degree for registered nurses and is considered an entry-level degree for nurse educators and managers. The degree also may prepare a nurse to seek a career as a nurse administrator, health policy expert, or clinical nurse leader. The MSN may be used as a prerequisite for doctorate-level nursing education, and previously was required to become an advanced practice registered nurse such as a nurse practitioner, clinical nurse specialist, nurse anesthetist, or nurse midwife. The master’s level advanced practice registered nurse programs have already, or are in the process of, transitioning to the requirements of the Doctor of Nursing Practice. This graduate-level degree may focus on one or more of many different advanced nursing specialties such as acute care, adult, family, geriatrics, neonatal, palliative care,pediatric, psychiatric, obstetrics and gynecological nursing, etc.
On completion of the two years M.Sc.Nursingprogramme, the graduate will be able to :
- Utilize / apply the concepts, theories and principles of nursing science.
- Demonstrate advance competence on practice of nursing
- Practice as a nurse specialist.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities and function effectively as educator and manager.
- Demonstrate skill in conducting nursing research,interpreting and utilizing the findings from health related research.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan and effect change in nursing practice and in the health care delivery system
- Establish collaborative relationship with members of other disciplines
- Demonstrate interest in continued learning for personal and professional advancement.
- The candidates should be registered nursing and v midwife or equivalent with any State Nursing Council
- The minimum education requirements shall be the passing of B.Sc.Nursing/B.Sc. Hons. Nursing/Post Basic B.Sc.Nursing with minimum of 55 % aggregate marks.
- The candidates should have undergone in B.Sc.Nursing/B.Sc. Hons. Nursing/Post Basic B.Sc.Nursing in a institution which is recognized by Indian Nursing Council.
- Minimum one year of work experience after B.Sc.Nursing
- Minimum one year of work experience prior or after post Basic B.Sc.Nursing
- Candidate shall be medically fit.
- 5 % relaxation of marks for SC/ST candidates may be given.
1st yearNursing Education,Advanced Nursing Practice,Nursing Research and
statistics,Clinical Speciality – I
2nd year Nursing Management,Nursing Research (Dissertation ),Clinical Specialty – II
Evaluation of the dissertation should be done by the examiner prior to viva
Duration: Viva-voice minimum 30 minutes per student.
There should be provisions for the following health services for the students.
- An annual medical examination.
- Vaccination against Tetanus, hepatitis B or any other communicable disease as considered necessary.
- Free medical care during illness and/ provision of health insurance should be made
- A complete health record should be kept in respect of each individual students.
The question of continuing the training of a students with long term chronic illness will be decided by the individual college.
Documents required for admission (M.Sc.Nursing)
- The photocopy of 10th Board Certificate, & Mark sheet (2 sets)
- The photocopy of +2 Sc. Council Certificate & Mark sheet (2 sets)
- ID Proof(Voter ID/PAN Card/Driving License/Aadhaar Card
- The photocopy of all mark sheet of B.Sc.Nursing degree
- The photocopy of Provisional certificates of B.Sc.Nursing degree
- The photocopy registration certificate of B.Sc.Nursing degree
- The photocopy of experience certificate with relief order.
- Original CLC/COND/Migration Certificates
- Medical Fitness Certificate
- 10 nos. of passport size photo
- Blood group report
- Cast certificate (if any)
- An amount of Rs. 20,200/- (admission and misc. charges) in cash or DD may be made in favour of Neelachal Institute of Medical Sciences payable at Bhubaneswar.
- An amount of Rs. 5000/- (Hostel admission) in cash or DD may be made in favour of Neelachal Institute of Medical Sciences, payable at Bhubaneswar.
Scope in India:
With an increase in health consciousness the quality of health services has also improved. Well trained, specialized nurses are being recruited by health organizations all over the country. Students of nursing have job prospects in government or private hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, old age homes, orphanages, industries, military services, schools and various other places.
India has the largest number of nurses going abroad. Majority of nurses all over the world belong to the Indian state of Kerala. The standard of health services in the western countries is very high. In those countries students of nursing can find jobs in specialized fields like Medical, Surgical, Telemetry (CCU), ICU, ER and several others. The pay packet for nurses is also is higher in countries abroad.
Job Scope and Career Options
There are many opportunities for nurses in the following places.
- Nursing homes
- Clinics and Heath Departments
- Orphanages and old age homes
- Industrial houses and factories
- Railways and public sector medical departments
- Training Institutes as educators
Some of the career options are as follows.
- Orthopedic Nursing
- Hospital Nursing
- Public Health Nursing/ Community Health Nursing
- Military Nursing
- Industrial Nursing/ Occupational Health Nursing
- Psychiatric Nursing
- Pediatric Nursing